Steve's Flight Simulator Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Steve's Flight Simulator Forum

Discuss Flight Simulator add ons

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome to Steve's Flight Simulator Forum. Please join the Forum and post your Comments, Questions, Pictures, and Thoughts.

Tail marking symetry?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bob S

Tail marking symetry? Empty
PostSubject: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 am

Steve; Cool forum. Cool
One thing that's bugged me with the "alpha/vert" varks is the placement of tail codes and "bu-numbers"on both sides of the tail.
Its more confusing to describe than to show in pics but bear with me. clown
On the FS planes, the tail codes and numbers don't match up from front to rear.
I'm thinking its either something that Alpha just did or else it was an Air Force thing?

To be more specific, if you look at the port side of the tail - lets say the tail codes are painted on starting at 3 feet from the leading edge of the tail (I'm just making up the number). Shouldn't they be placed at the same location on the opposite side of the tail or was this a SIOP reg. kind of thing? Suspect

BTW, I used to be one of the Freeflight Design Shop guys and went to HS with a guy you may have known at Pease. affraid

Back to top Go down
Steve Hess
Admin
Steve Hess

PostSubject: Re: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 7:16 am

I am not sure what you meen, but I try to keep the aircraft number on the tail in the same place on the left and right side of the tail.

Who might the person from Pease we know?
Back to top Go down
https://stevesflightsim.forumotion.net
Bob S

PostSubject: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm kinda hesitant to be dropping names on a public forum, but I went to HS with a guy named Don Donahue who later worked on 111's and F-16s. I'm pretty sure he was a crew chief at Pease, plane #126 I think? This would have been in the 80's.

What was ironic was that we grew up very close to the IP of the Ashland bomb plot (IR800?) in Maine so we were pretty jaded to be seeing low level 111's and B-52's all the time. Cool Don went Air Force for a full career, I went Navy after I got my degree.

Don's still in N.H. , BTW.

Anyway, yeah I repainted some of the old Alpha -111's for FS9 and "fixed" the letter and number locations on the stbd side of the tail (also used the right font and did some of them as stencils). king
Back to top Go down
Steve Hess
Admin
Steve Hess

PostSubject: Re: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:19 pm

I do not know Don. I left Pease AFB in March 1980.

Bill McClellan (former B-52 Bomb/Navigator) created hundreds of low level routes for flight sim. IR800 is one of them. I fly it often.

Back to top Go down
Bob S

PostSubject: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 am

He he. I remember when he first uploaded the Ashland/Ft. Drum route. Very Happy
I wanted to check it out so I loaded the flight plan. First time coming up on the IP, it suddenly struck me WHY we used to see so many planes. The IP was at the head of a lake where my folks had a camp. Then the lightbulb went off and I did some research. This lake (Mattawaumkeag) is rather large and right next to another lake and there is a small mountain (May Mountain) at the northern end of the two lakes. That location pretty much dovetailled with what the AF considered to be a perfect IP. Laughing I'm still not sure if the actual IP was May Mountain or I-95 but they're pretty close to each other.
The actual Ashland bomb plot wasn't exactly a secret. The real target is a paper plant and the local newspaper used to write about it as the most heavily bombed target in the US. Laughing
I've heard rumors that the real target was actually the smoke stack of the plant and it was funny to see it included in FS'02s autogen scenery. Laughing

BTW, Virtavia has released the old FS04 B-52 as freeware. I was able to convert it to run in FS02 like a champ so now I need to paint some Loring AFB BUFFs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Steve Hess
Admin
Steve Hess

PostSubject: Re: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 4:52 am

I have the FS9 B-52 updated for FSX on my site
Back to top Go down
Bob S

PostSubject: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:32 pm

Any chance anyone ever did a repaint for those Alpha B-52's in the "old" (green, green, sand, and white) camo from the 70's?
I've looked around but haven't seen much support. Shocked

For anyone else reading, the B-52 can be a tough subject to paint. Its not a lack of documentation, its more about the longevity of the planes. So, the subject isn't so much "what plane?" but "when?". Laughing
Back to top Go down
Steve Hess
Admin
Steve Hess

PostSubject: Re: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 pm

I don't know thw answer to that, I am sure there are repaints, but I could not tell about a certain one
Back to top Go down
Bob S

PostSubject: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Its cool, it took some digging but I found a repaint from a guy named Jens at FS.com for a G model from Linebacker 2. Cool
I'm almost done converting his textures so it looks like "Special Kay", the B-52 in Alpha's "SIOP" textures, only now with the older SEA paint a tan nose and ALL the nose art it wore for a Bomb Comp. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail marking symetry?   Tail marking symetry? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tail marking symetry?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steve's Flight Simulator Forum :: MSFS :: General-
Jump to: